How To Repair The Bumper At Home?
A damaged bumper brings the value of the vehicle down. But it can be restored at home with some cleaning, sanding, filling, repair and painting. All the supplies needed to complete a bumper home repair can be found at most of the car shops. Bumper match color coat can be made in auto shops as well.
Here are the instructions:
- Wash the bumper with liquid soap and water, then rinse it with a degreasing self-cleaning solution. Rinse well until the rinsing water runs smoothly instead of beads up.
- Scrape any sharp tears all the damage with a hard metal cutter and then send the front of the bumper.
- Brush an adhesion promoter layer on the back of the damaged areas with a brush and leave for 10 minutes to dry.
- Cut wire mesh with trunk to cover the back of the damage. Make the mesh large enough to extend 2 inches around the damage on all sides.
- Apply a glue to the back of the damage with a spatula, and cover with a wire mesh. Apply another bonding layer on the wire mesh.
- Scrape half of the bumper along the damaged area with a carbide cutter, creating a 1 inch wide groove. Blow away the waste with compressed air. Adhesive promoter paint in the groove and leave to dry for 10 minutes.
- Fully fill the groove prepared with stucco. Press the air bubbles and then smooth with a spatula. Leave for 30 minutes to dry.
- Sand the area with granite 80 paper once it has been completely dried. Blow the sanding powder away with compressed air.
- Apply a flexible bumper sealant aerosol layer to the entire bumper. Sealer is applied to promote adhesion of primer paint and to keep the repairs fring out in the paint. Coat the front of the bumper with the textured spray bumper if necessary.
- First bumper with a primer bumper spray bumper spray to help the paint adhere to the bumper properly.
- Spray the bumper with the bumper aerosol coat. Once it's dry, wet with sand the bumper with granite 320 sandpaper and then rinse the clean bumper. Allow to dry.
- Repeat the previous step five times, replacing the granite 320 paper with 400 granular glass paper to finish the last hand. Spray the bumper one last time with the Rear Bumper Ford F250 bumper coat, and let it dry for 12 hours.
You are now all set with the fixed bumper. Now you have to put back the bumper carefully. Make sure you have no loopholes left those could keep the bumper loose.